Questions For Design Area Project 3.2

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion Structures Questions For Design Area Project 3.2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Flynn
    Participant

Hey EWB:)

My name is Dan and I’m from UniSA. I have a couple of questions that I would greatly appreciate your assistance in the Discovery stage of our project. Here are my questions (for now:)):
      1. Are we allocated a specific community for this project? If no specific community, can you give us a more specific region than Cape York? The reason for this question is that there are significant differences in the soils amongst the regions of Cape York. The composition of the soil will have a significant impact of the design and building (and subsequent cost) of the structure.
      2. What is the minimum structure size for this project? How many artifacts should the structure accommodate? Is there a requirement for maximum occupancy for viewing, etc?
      3. Is the structure and the artifacts going to be insured or are the artifacts already insured?
      4. Are these communities self-governing or are we required to go through a local council/government for design approvals/permits? Do the communities have building exemptions? If the communities fall under the jurisdiction of a local council/government, is there a specific building code that you wish for us to adhere to for this project?

That’s it for now, I’m sure I’ll have more questions later:).
      Thanks for your help,
      Cheers,
      Dan

Grace Roberts
      Keymaster

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your questions and I apologise about our delay in responding to your queries.

As it turns out I have recently answered these same questions in another post, found here: https://ewbchallenge.org/forums/topic/structures-3-2-keeping-places-for-artifacts-on-country/

If you have any further questions, of if I missed any of your questions in that other post, feel free to comment on either post and we’ll try our best to help.

Best of luck with your project,
        Grace

Akshit Verma
        Participant

Hey!
          My team and I took structures specifically 3.1 and we were just wondering how to check that the shelter designed by us is appropriate for our users? Also what do we need to include in the implementation plan? Its given that we should know how are gonna transport our materials and where to transport them from? how are we supposed to look up sellers?

Luke Barbagallo
          Keymaster

Hi Akshit,

Thanks for the question!

In terms of the assessing the appropriateness, this is something for you to decide, based on you understanding of the stakeholders and end users. There is a lot of great information and resources on the challenge website that will help you understand that in greater detail. Also, a big factor in the appropriateness of your structure lies in its suitability to the climatic and environmental externalities on the Peninsula.

For the implementation plan, you should be considering what is required to get this structure from the page into the field; what kind of personnel is required for assembly, what materials are needed (are these local or trucked in?), what are the general logistics?

In terms of having specific suppliers and knowing exact pricing, this may be difficult to find with the time you have, so it would be ok to make a few assumptions around costs.

Luke

Luke Barbagallo
            Keymaster

Hi Akshit,

Thanks for the question!

In terms of the assessing the appropriateness, this is something for you to decide, based on you understanding of the stakeholders and end users. There is a lot of great information and resources on the challenge website that will help you understand that in greater detail. Also, a big factor in the appropriateness of your structure lies in its suitability to the climatic and environmental externalities on the Peninsula.

For the implementation plan, you should be considering what is required to get this structure from the page into the field; what kind of personnel is required for assembly, what materials are needed (are these local or trucked in?), what are the general logistics?

In terms of having specific suppliers and knowing exact pricing, this may be difficult to find with the time you have, so it would be ok to make a few assumptions around costs.

Luke

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.